Whey Isolate & Concentrate

What Is the Difference Between Whey Isolate & Concentrate?

If you are working out, you probably be taking some form of protein supplement like protein powder and other energy drinks.

One very popular type of supplement is whey, you must be aware of it and you must have used it at least once.

Whey protein is made from dairy and even in whey there are many different varieties like the whey concentrate and isolate. Different version has some similarities and differences and their use differs slightly depending on your need.

So, let us discuss what is so different between the isolate and concentrate of whey. But before we do that, let’s find out what exactly is whey protein.

What Is Whey Protein?

I bet you had no idea that whey protein is a by product of dairy products such as yogurt and cheese. When milk is processed to form yogurt and cheese the by product and liquid that remains is called whey.

Whey is a very powerful source of protein and is it happens it is very fast digesting. Milk consists of two types of protein, casein and whey, where casein is 80% and whey only consists of 20%. That said, both provide all the required amino acids for our body and fulfil all our protein requirements.

The difference between both is that whey is fast digesting protein while casein takes a little more time to digest. While whey is considered to be more advantageous to form the new proteins in our muscles.

Which brings us, again, to the two prominent types of whey protein. The whey isolate and whey concentrate.

The Difference

Both the types come with differences as a result of their processing methods. As whey is collected as a by product of dairy processed products, whey undergoes different other processes to increase the protein in it.

This is all done to increase the whey protein content significantly and when the target is achieved the liquid is then dried to form whey protein powder. This whey protein powder has 80% of pure protein by weight while the rest 20% is carbs and fats. This is basically the whey concentrate.

On the other hand, whey isolate is produced where fat and carbohydrate content is reduced to 10% and the protein content is increased to 90%.

With different processing methods, you can get whey concentrate that has a higher carbohydrate and fat content compared to the whey isolate.

That said, you will eventually get the same amino acids from both the types. After all, they are made from the same product.

Whey isolate also proves to be a much better fit for those who are lactose intolerant. Alongside low carbohydrate and fat content, whey isolate also stores less lactose content.

Apart from the different nutrition benefits of both, you can also see clearly that both have a different price tag where whey concentrate is cheaper than its counterpart.

The difference in price is simply because whey isolate is a purer form of protein compared to whey concentrate and naturally is more expensive. That said, you can cover the protein deficit with a larger dose of concentrate.

Similar Benefits

All in all, whey protein, whether isolate or concentrate, has many benefits for people who keep their bodies busy.

They are quite the solution to achieve more strength and lean mass. It doesn’t matter if it is whey concentrate or isolate. At least that is what the studies suggests.

As they are both derived from the same product, there is little evidence to suggest that both have very different effects on our body even though they both go through different processing methods.

When it comes to ingesting the right amount of protein, it is important the intake should come from high-quality protein such as meat, milk and eggs. Similarly, whey is also a very high-quality protein source and if taken with the right diet, they are to produce almost the same effect on your bodies.

There are many different types of proteins available that provide whey isolate and concentrate blended together.

Conclusion

The conclusion is that whey is a dairy by product and provides a very pure form of protein to our bodies. As it is a very high-quality protein, it is quite beneficial in providing strength and lean mass.

With that, whey also has different types like the whey isolate and whey concentrate where both have some differences and similarities.

The main difference between them is that whey isolate, and concentrate go through different processing methods. That makes the whey isolate purer form of protein compared to concentrate. Whey concentrate has 80% protein and 20% carbs and fats while isolate has 90% protein content and 10% carbs and fats.

But as they both are made from the same source, the effects they have on our bodies is not much different from each other.

As whey isolate has less carbs and lactose content, it is better suited to people who are lactose intolerant. But whey concentrate is also processed such that its lactose content is quite low. So that sums it all up.